We heard an impassioned update and call for allies from Water Protectors, who left the front lines at Standing Rock to join us at the 2016 Bioneers Conference.
“What’s happening today is not the historical thing. It’s not what happened to Native Americans back in the day. It’s what’s happening to us right now. This country is founded on taking our land from us. It’s not history, it’s now. And we need people to help us.”
-Kandi Mosset, Indigenous Environmental Network
“This fight isn’t just happening with those on the ground. Each and every one of us has a part to play in it.”
-Dallas Goldtooth, Indigenous Environmental Network
“Most needed are folks to fill in the frontlines, as so many have been arrested. If unable to come to North Dakota, contact the Army Corps headquarters in DC, contact the White House, contact your elected reps to demand an EIS for this project.”
-Tara Houska, Honor the Earth
Those in the room at the 2016 Bioneers Conference in San Rafael and the hundreds of thousands who have watched the video since have asked us how to find out more and how to support these efforts. We reached out to the Indigenous Environmental Network and Honor the Earth for their recommendations. Below are a number of options for those who would like to be further involved.
- JOIN. As Tara Houska notes, all are welcome to the frontlines at the Oceti Sakowin Camp.
- SHARE. News is coming out directly from the Sacred Stone camp on a daily basis. Sharing it far and wide with your networks is a way to increase critical visibility for this issue.
- COMMUNICATE. If you want to reach out to your elected representatives and the Army Corps of Engineers, here’s how.
- SUPPORT. Both Sacred Stone, the original prayer camp, and Red Warrior, a direct action camp, are providing hot meals and supplies to those on the front lines.
- DONATE. Both camps have separate legal funds. The RWC Legal fund is currently used to hire attorneys to fight felony charges and the SSC Legal Fund is being used for bail.
Bioneers is incredibly honored to work with our partners to be able to provide a venue and platform for these essential voices and issues. Your support helps make this outreach possible.